0

Oguzie
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Jennifer Oguzie
Hollywood cum Nollywood diva, Jennifer Akudo Oguzie, has al­ways had camera in her face. In fact, acting runs in her blood. Her dad played the role of Bruno along­side Gringory and Zebrudaya in the TV sitcom, New Masquerade. Also, popular highlife musician, Bright Chimezie, was her uncle and she was always at his concerts and recordings. No wonder, Oguzie
is making it big both locally and internationally.
The actress was recently in Nigeria and she opened up to The Entertainer. Ex­cerpts:
What are you doing in Nigeria?
I came down here for different projects. First for a film, I am one of the producers, executive producers and also a cast in it. It is titled, Mirror. The director is Neville Os­sai and he is also the writer and producer of the same project. And we are collaborating to make sure we make a standard quality film that will be viewed in the Diaspora.
What is Mirror all about?
Mirror is a story of a young lady who sees things before it happens. It entails ev­erything that happens in her life, the good side of it and the bad side as well. It is a funny twist to the story, so I would encour­age everybody to lookout for Mirror, and when we unveil the twist, we will actually see what happens toMirror and how it transpired to best friend, Betty.
Is it a Nollywood film?
It is an international, Diaspora film, made out of Nollywood.
Who wrote the script and who are the film cast?
Neville Ossai wrote the script, and the second version of the story, The Twist, I collaborated in writing it. Apart from myself, other stars in the film are Uru Eke,  Femi Jacobs, Eyinnaya Nwigwe, Dr. Greg Obi, Nefi and Neville Ossai. myself, other stars in the film are Uru Eke,
When are we going to see this film?
You are likely going to see Mirror in theatre sometime next year, but definitely it will be at the festivals at the end of this year. We are going to submit it to top festi­vals and we hope to have it at the AMVCA Awards and other awards here in Nigeria too.
How would you describe your stay in Nigeria?
It has been an exciting experience. I would not trade Nigeria for anything. This is a place where I feel very welcome, very loved. It is a very fruitful country where you plant the fruit and you watch it grow. So, I have planted the fruit and I am ready to watch it grow. I had a very interesting time and also watching a lot of my friends declaring their political ambition. It is a plus to me because there is a part of me too that loves politics. I also love watching people grow in that territory. So, I enjoyed every minute I am here. Also my director, Mr. Obi Emelonye, who featured me in one of his blockbuster films, Last Flight to Abuja, is also on the verge of making his new hit television series, it has about 100 episodes, and I have been invited to be a part of it. So, I am going to go back to Hollywood, recreate myself and come back for the project. The entire project, I believe, will be shot in Ibadan.
I can see your son, Obama, is al­ready speaking Igbo. Is it as a result of your coming home?
It is actually not. From the day I gave birth to my son, it was a decision that I make that Igbo shall be his first language because in the society that we are in today, parents and families ignore their origin, their dialect and speak English language. English language is fine but when you have your own biological son speaking your indigenous language, words cannot express the feeling as a mother when you look into your child and he said, “Mama ele otu idi” (meaning ‘mummy, how are you’). That is the best thing I can ever give to my son, to make sure he can speak, read and write Igbo. As long as I live, Obama shall speak Igbo.
When actually did you start acting?
I started acting as a child way back in Nigeria in the early ‘80s. There was a TV show called ‘Kiddies World’ and that was how I started with my sister, and our dad who was a comedian encour­aged us. Later, I started doing stage plays. In 1996/97, we did Stubborn Grasshopper; it featured Ramsey Nouah. My dad was one of the actors that played alongside Gringory and Zebrudayah in New Masquer­ade.Though, he is late now, he played the role of Bruno in that television series. Since I knew him as my dad, he was acting and had traveled a lot to various parts of the world like London, United States of America, Argen­tina etc.
I have always had cameras in my face, so it wasn’t strange for me. Like I said, my dad was into entertainment. Bright Chimezie, one of the popular musicians, was my uncle and we were always at all his concerts and recordings. We grew up dancing and spending time in front of the camera. We were always in front of the camera. That was how I developed the pas­sion for acting and the love for film.
So, acting runs in the family?
Absolutely, it runs in the blood and ev­eryone has a little form of acting in them.
My mother is a Guidance Counselor, she has a doctorate degree and she taught me how to dance as a child. She used dance as a form of hobby and choice and not as a profession.
How supportive was your moth­er?
My mother was supportive but at the same time, she wanted me to graduate from college so that, at least, I would have a sound education before I go full time into acting so as to have something I can fall back on. My family migrated to the United States in 1998 and while in school, I studied Social Work and Psychology.
What’s life as a student and work­ing in America?
My mother raised us to be very strong and not to let our guards down, and to always strive for the best. My father died in 1999, and it has been my mother all by herself, trying to raise three girls and a boy all by herself. She is still doing it with ease, love, joy and confidence. It really gave us joy to know that a woman can actually raise her family, and it feels like you have a man and a woman in that fam­ily. The challenge was for me to respect my mother and do the things according to the way that she wanted us to do it.You lost your dad when
you were young?
Yes, my dad died of food poisoning on Christmas Eve. We believed he ate something and that was it. It was Decem­ber 24, 1998 or 99, a day before we were supposed to travel to the United States of America. We went out shopping, bought Christmas gifts and clothes and stopped by a restaurant with his friend and my mother, and they ate some food and later my dad was rushed to the hospital where he died.
So, the trip to America was can­celled?  
The trip was cancelled and it was funeral time. My mother being  young at that time and we were also little  children, my dad was very prominent and wealthy, and my mother, being a widow tried to claim what was hers. We had families but then when someone passes on, then you would really know the hearts of people, with or against you. She really tried to maintain some of the properties left behind by my father but it wasn’t easy, as she struggled, but I am glad, she was very smart, strong and with God’s power, she was able to overcome all the chalyoung at that time and we were also little lenges after my dad passed on. ­
How‘s life after your father’s death?
Yes, things could become very difficult when you give up hope. What we need in life is to learn that death can bring love and affection, and it can also make you a stronger person. It could either make or mar you. Sometimes in a school setting, little boys would want to take advantage of you and they would want to get a fight with you knowing that your dad is not go­ing to be there. But when they know that it is just your mother, they will think, it is so easy to bully or harass you and they would want to get away with it. But as God would have it, my mother is one strong and dedicated, hardworking woman. She’s my idol for life; she made us.
Literally, I grew up as a tomboy. I was so strong. My sister and I, we joined mar­tial arts at the age of four. We were both strong and were not afraid of anything and when some boys looked for our trouble on the street, we charged at them and fought back. We grew up strong and not letting our guards down, knowing that our father is dead. Our brother was not able to pro­tect us (the girls) because he was the last child; rather, we took care of him until he became a man.
What’s your opinion about sex for role in Nollywood?
It has never happened to me. But of course, it is one thing if an actress is going out of her way to go after a director and give herself to him to get a role. That is the actress’ personal agenda. I can’t judge people, but as for me, I will never sleep with any director for a role.
Can you act nude?
I will not act nude, walking on set na­ked, I will not. No!
Why did your marriage breakup? 
What led to the breakdown of my mar­riage was the mistake that kept on hap­pening. I did not keep my private life out of my marriage. Now, I have a kid and his name is Obama.
Why do you think marriages break down in Nollywood? 
The industry is funny. Men do under­stand that before he met this lady, she was in the entertainment industry. But they get overshadowed by the limelight, fame, attention, and overlook all these qualities when they are going after the lady. But they expect that when they marry the wife, she would change overnight. That is why marriages break. Why would you want to change someone overnight? You’d better go and find yourself a lawyer or doctor or engineer to marry. Don’t get involved with fame when you are not ready to be who you are.
Do you have any regret that your marriage broke down?
I have no regret. Experience is the best teacher. I did what I did but on my part, it was a mistake. I was warned not to marry my ex but I went ahead to marry him and I learnt from my lessons and I moved on. I am now a better and stronger person. I have achieved a lot after I moved on with my life.
Can you marry an actor?
Yes, if the man will respect me. I don’t have any resentment. No matter his profes­sion, I will, but right now, I am okay. First of all, the man must have an impeccable hygiene. He has to be hardworking and very fit so that we can live longer when we marry. When he is fit, he would have a longer span of life. He must be loving and caring. He must not be a liar or a cheat but someone that is God-fearing. His colour doesn’t really matter; a man is always a man as long as he brings 50 percent to the table.
Are you good in bed?
I am a very romantic person. I treat my man very well in bed. I keep him satisfied. When I handle a man , he doesn’t need to have any reason to look outside. I take care of business and make it count. If you can get your gig on once a day, three to five times a week, I think it is okay.
What makes you happy? 
I make myself happy. I love my shadow and when I look at myself in the mirror, it makes me happy.
What turns you on and off?
A lying man turns me off and a hard and sexy dude turns me on.
What are your hobbies? 
Fitness is my hobby. I love to dance and I teach African dance. I love to watch movies and travel round the world. I like to take vacations in the summer and relax. I want to go to Tahiti, which will be my next destination.

Post a Comment

 
Top